I just did this for the hell of it, nothing more.
100 Questions for an Artist
01. What is your pen name?
Just Niko. I'm not creative enough for a good pen name.
02. What made you choose this name?
Uh...my parents? They gave it to me.
03. Do you use PC or Mac?
PC. I don't have any qualms with either, but I think if I got a Mac it'd be a lot
easier for distributing my animation in different formats
04. What programs do you use most often?
05. Do you use mouse, or tablet?
Tablet. It's a small Wacom (I don't know the exact size) but I've gotten used to it,
so it gets the job done.
06. What color or color combinations do you find yourself using most often?
A lot of blues, it seems like. Not constantly, but cool colors are more pleasing to me
most of the time
07. What part of a picture do you put most effort into?
Depends on what it's a picture of. Most of the time I'd say the character(s).
08. How long does it take you do draw a picture?
Again it kind of depends, but generally a couple hours
09. Do you keep your rough drafts?
All over my floor, haha
10. What font do you use most often?
I'd say Comic Book, Arial Black or Coolvetica, but I really like old computer/video
game fonts like Emulator or Commadore 64
11. When you scan your image, what DPI do you use?
My scanner is terrible, so...whatever it decides to do, and I fix it myself in
12. Do you do anything else when you're drawing?
I used to always have the TV on when I drew, but not so much anymore. I usually have
music on though.
13. Approximately how many pictures do you draw in a month?
Polished pictures, it varies. If you want to count sketches and other drawings,
14. What kind of paper do you draw your pictures on?
To be honest, I have no idea what the actual kind of paper in my sketchbooks is
15. What kind of paper do you use for rough sketches and drafts?
Same as above
16. How long does it take you to ink something?
Not too long. Sometimes I go straight to inking even.
17. Do you do comics, or fan comics?
I do fan stuff occasionally, but most of the time I find myself drawing original
18. Do you like comics? Are they fun to make?
Yes, but I haven't made a solid, complete comic in a very long time
19. Have you ever submitted anything to a magazine?
No. Never had anything I thought was good enough..
21. Who are your favorite artists?
Oh man...Charles Schulz, Shigeru Miyamoto, Joe Murray, Genndy Tartakovsky, Keiji
Inafune, Rob Renzetti, Craig McCracken, C.H. Greenblatt, Maxwell Atoms, Dan Meth,
Jeaux Janovsky, John K., Andrew Kauervane, Tara Billinger, Gabe Swarr...there are just
too many distinct styles out there that I love and have influenced me over the years
22. Do you like anime/manga? If so, what are your favorite series?
I'm not a big fan of it, but I do like a couple series like FLCL and Shin Chan, mainly
because of how different they are from what I see everywhere day after day after
23. Do you like cartoons/comics? If so, what are your favorite series?
I love cartoons and like my favorite artists, I have a lot of favorites: Rocko's
Modern Life, Angry Beavers, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Chowder, Flapjack, Teenage
Robot, Homestar Runner, FLCL, Harvey Birdman, Billy & Mandy, Spongebob, Aqua Teen
Hunger Force, Superjail, South Park, Shin Chan, Meth Minute, Nite Fite, El Tigre,
Johnny Bravo, Faily Oddparents...holy crap, the list just goes on and on
24. Any artists that you wish you could draw like?
I'm always looking at other people's work and saying "Man, I wish I could draw like
that." It happens all the time heh
25. Do you read a lot of books?
26. Did you ever buy a book to inspire or teach you to draw?
Uh...I know I had a couple as a kid, but they were all terrible. I never learned a
thing from how to draw books, and I don't think anyone ever does. I learned just by
observing other comics and cartoons and constant practice. That's still what I do
27. Any video games you enjoy?
I love Mario games, the classic Mega Man series, Kirby, Pac-Man, Zelda, and lots of
28. Any favorite characters from video games?
Mario and Mega Man
29. Do you have a favorite writer?
30. Any books you really enjoy?
Catcher In The Rye, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...uh..those are really the only
non-comics I like, heh
31. Do you draw fanart?
32. Do you listen to music while you draw?
33. Any recommended songs?
Not any in particular. I would just say listen to Ska, heh
34. Any art websites that you really enjoy?
Channel Frederator and CF Raw, Deviantart (sometimes), and just blogs of other
35. Are there any websites that you go to everyday?
Tumblr, Facebook, Youtube, Myspace, Deviantart, etc. All those community sites
36. What is your dream website like?
I don't really have a...dream website
37. Do you like your own art?
Sometimes. As time goes by, looking at my stuff tends to make me sick
38. What do you enjoy watching on television?
Cartoons and news. Go figure
39. Favorite celebrity?
None. I don't really pay attnetion to that stuff
40. Favorite color?
41. Favorite food?
I like pretzels
42. Favorite drink?
Iced tea or Dr. Pepper
43. Do you like to go shopping? If yes, where? And for what?
I don't really "shop." If I go somewhere, I know exactly what I need and where it
would be. I don't waste time looking around and buying all this crap I don't need.
44. Can you cook?
Some things, yeah. Nothing incredibly complicated though
45. Any devices you use often for email? Any electronic pets?
46. Are you tech-savvy?
Not as much as people seem to think
47. Do you want to become a professional artist?
48. Are there any other jobs you're interested in?
Cartoonist/animator. I would love to work for Frederator at Next New Networks up in
New York. I see a lot of stuff from people there through Tumblr and whatnot, and it
just amazes me.
49. Any other hobbies or skills besides drawing?
I write and play music. I used to play trumpet, but no so much anymore. I've been
playing piano and other key instruments for a long time though.
50. Do you like to watch movies?
Eh, not very often. I dunno why, I just don't
51. What's your favorite movie?
52. Have you ever entered an art contest?
I've entered a couple over time
53. When did you start drawing seriously?
Hmm. Well, I knew by around 8 years old I wanted to be a cartoonist, but I don't think
you can consider anything from that time as serious. I'd lean more towards the end of
middle school/beginning of high school when I started doing comics and cartoons on the
54. Do you use references? If so, for what?
If I'm doing a serious piece (not just doodling) of characters that aren't mine, then
56. Do you have a lot of net friends?
57. Do you have a lot of friends that also draw?
Net friends, yes. Around here though, no one's really into the same stuff that I am
58. What time of the day do you usually go online?
59. Do you like to go to chat rooms?
60. Do you have your own computer?
61. What would you say to the person that you admire?
Uh...I dunno, heh. I admire a lot of people.
62. Does your mind wander when you draw?
63. Have you drawn poorly because you think too much?
64. Do you have any friends who are professional artists?
65. Where do you often hang out?
Well, most of my friends have scattered all over the country now, so I don't really
66. Are there any popular artists that you don't like much? (no need to name names if
you don't want to)
In a way, yeah
67. Are there any situations in which you really don't like being an Artist?
68. How about situations that make you love it?
Uh...all the time?
69. What's the one thing that makes you grateful that the internet exists?
The ability to show my work to the world and not just my friends, and the ability to
talk to and work with other cartoonists from all over
70. Is there anything out there that makes you wish the internet didn't exist?
71. What's your first drawing?
A little something I like to call Crayon on Old Computer Paper
72. Any art you did prior to that?
73. Has your style changed a lot since then?
Since I was a baby? Yeah, I would say so.
75. Have you experienced artist's block before?
Many times, yeah
76. If so, how do you usually get out of it?
I dunno, it just kind of works itself out I guess
77. What do you do when you can't get out of it?
It always ends eventually.
78. Any people that have influenced you a lot?
Charles Schulz and Shigeru Miyamoto were my first and probably biggest influences
79. What made you want to start drawing?
I just love cartoons
81. Has anything ever made you want to quit art all together?
I have wanted to quit sometimes but I could never do that
82. What do you think about netiquette?
The way I am online is just how I act in "real life."
83. Have you ever been spammed or trolled?
Several times, yeah.
86. Do you upload high quality versions of your art submissions, or do you prefer to
upload a lower quality?
Usually high quality, unless it's too big to fit on the screen easily; then I upload
it at a smaller resolution
88. Do you have good vision?
I can't see worth crap!
89. If you can get anyone's autograph, whose would you get?
Too hard to say, there's just too many people
91. Do you like to draw on Oekaki BBS?
92. Do you have a job?
Just some hired help here and there. I would say animation, but it's not really a
93. Did you take art in school? If so, did you do well? Are you still taking it?
To my surprise, my high school offered Animation I and II courses which I took in my
sophomore year. Much to my disappointment, it was really just odd projects that
involved drawing cartoon characters. No actual animation. I didn't learn a thing from
it, either; I knew more than the teacher.
94. Have you taken art lessons outside of a school setting?
95. Have you ever drawn something just because it was the cool thing to do -- the hip
96. What's your favorite phrase/quote?
"A cartoonist is someone who has to draw the same thing every day without repeating
97. Do you present yourself differently online than you do in your real life?
98. What's your goal now?
To make a cartoon that people enjoy
99. What do you have to say to yourself?
100. Lastly, what do you have to say to everyone who read this?
You must've been really bored!